Wednesday 9 July 2014

Burundi English School... First days

Our first day was quite eventful with a total of only 7 children arriving. There were more teachers than students!  Apparently the information about the program had not been communicated well, but the Burundi teachers spent the day on the phone and today, Tuesday, tripled the number.


Monday all the children were working with me..  Tuesday we split into three rooms.  My room had 10 students ranging from grade 3 to 11, and from minimal English to quite fluent.  Some of the children were BES students and some came from public school.  In reality, my room had two groups based on skill level.  We did some story telling, some paired reading, some card cames, some outdoor games and mainly worked on conversation skills.  By today, Wednesday, there were 18 students, and a few more registered for tomorrow.

Internet is scarce.   The school uses a local NGO next door and so it is reliant on their availability. I have been trying to use that but even when there is a connection, e email may not work.    It costs more to have internet than to have an extra teacher.  The residence has no internet either.  Right ow I am in Cafe Gourmand down town, a very European location and I a drinking a smoothie!  

It is extremes xtremely quiet for me.  Emmanuel will pick me up at 8:30 and return me to the residence at 12:30.  Lunch is there fore, and then I am free until the next morning with no one to talk to.  Lots of reading.  I walked quite far today to come here to use the internet and enjoy a smoothie.

I will try and share some pictures on this blog post but need to publish it first.  Each time Ivette ride to add a picture using this iPad, the internet crashes, so I want to get the post up first, then I will move to the computer.  Hopefully I will not run out of battery!

Friends and family... I so enjoy your emails and comments.  Thanks for keeping in touch.  Each morning, as I arrive at BES, I anxiously open email hoping for a note.  Keep them coming!
Playing What time is it Mr Wolf?

Jessa is wearing my 'Story Hat': When it is put on your head you must tell me a story...

Making words.. the more advanced students are making crosswords.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy,
    I am looking forward to reading about your adventure this summer. What a wonderful journey to take!
    Heather White

    ReplyDelete
  2. And so the fun language games begin. You'll be digging deep for all the classic games to play with the kids. I always loved madlibs! Or having students sit back to back and tell the other what to draw - fun seeing what they come up with. Sounds like you'll have some long afternoons. Either that will be a long time or you'll have lots of adventures. Is English common enough that you can manage on your own? Or is language going to be a challenge? Are white people scattered amongst the population or do you stand out like a sore thumb?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fantastic! I am excited to hear about your experiences. Were the supplies needed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, you are having such a wonderful adventure! Hopefully it will get even better when Steve arrives soon. I am envious.

    ReplyDelete