Thursday 24 July 2014

Welcomed into Homes and Church...

I have  been blessed with invitations now to both Anglican and Roman Catholic Church services.  Having attended the end of mourning ceremony with Emmanuel on my second weekend here, I was looking forward to attending an Anglican service,  Gabriel came  by the house to pick me up at 8 am, and we took a cab to the Cibitoke quarter which is quite  far north in the city.  I had suggested I would be fine walking, however I naively had no idea the distance involved. The church was already busy when we arrived at 8:30.  Gabriel brought me into the sacristy, where I met the priests and was warmly welcomed.  We then caught the conclusion of an infant baptism ceremony before the main service, Holy Communion, began at 9 am.

Anglican Church
The church was completely full.  The congregation was filled with all age groups, a notable difference from Canadian services.  There was an abundance of high school / university age members all of whom were clearly engaged and involved in the church community.
Lots of young people


One of the Choirs


 
There were at least a half a dozen different choirs who sang.  The music raised the roof.  Choirs of university students, women choirs, men choirs, high school student choirs, mixed choirs:  they were spectacular.  The music was uplifting and powerful.  I didn't understand a word of the service or music, but was delighted throughout.   Gabriel encouraged me to take pictures and videos which I will post as soon as the internet is strong enough to do so.

The church is poor in financial means but wealthy in its community and faith.

The Cibitoke neighbourhood is very poor.  The homes are unlike anything one would live in in Canada. People are on the streets, outside their homes, as that is where there is space.  Children litter the streets, and play with homemade soccer balls and roll bike tires with a stick.  They are dressed in the most basic of clothing, but people seem happy.  I felt a bit like the Pied Piper, as dozens of children danced around my feet as we were walking, chanting. ,  ‘Mzugo, , Bonbon!’  Some reached up to hold my hand.  This is a neighbourhood that sees very few white people, and I was a spectacle for the kids.
Walking to Gabriel's home from church


Esther, Gabriel, Yvonne and Didace




Making cassava bread ourside the doorstep


Lunch!
I have learned not to carry much cash and on Sunday I regretted this.  I had expected to walk to church and then return home, but the day unfolded differently.  First, there was the taxi ride, which was a luxury for Gabriel. I would have liked to have Bonbons for the children.  But most surprisingly, Gabriel had arranged for me to join his wife and daughter for lunch at his home.  He lives In the neighbourhood just north of Citiboke, equally poor.  He shared a delicious meal of meat, rice, greens, beans, and bananas in their living room, which was adorned with a poster of Obama and another of the African presidents.


Art on Gabriels walls
  Yvonne, his wife, and Esther, his daughter, both do not speak French or English.  Gabriel's best friend, Didace, who teaches high school English up country in a public school, joined us.  After lunch, we went to Didace’s home down the street where he had visitors there to sing for him and his wife and baby.  After that, we went to a local street bar with the singers, Didace, Yvonne, and Gabriel.  By late afternoon, I took a taxi back to my house with Gabriel and Yvonne who had not seen the BES home.  They returned I their home by bus. This was a day where I was welcomed into the real lives of Burundians, and I felt incredibly honoured.

I regretted that I did not have a small gift for the hospitality shared by Gabriel and his family. What an incredible day!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an amazing day. It seems like these people let their spirit shine through in their faith, their music, their colourful clothing and their support of one another. While we, who have so much, tend to be more reserved and less connected. Who knew that Obama would be so noteworthy halfway around the world!

    ReplyDelete